Wednesday, December 16, 2009

FORGET Y2K, IT'S ALL ABOUT 2KX

I've been trying to listen to as many albums (got The Blueprint 3, new Muse and Them Crooked Vultures yesterday) and see all the movies I can (waiting on Avatar and Up In The Air) before the end of the year, simply because I want to make a 'Best of 2009' list. And that way, my blog will be just like the other 40 billion people out there with access to the internet. Mine will probably be exactly the same, but maybe a tad bit funnier than some. At least, that's what I'd like to think.

But I've been so focused on 2009, that I just barely realized we're entering a new decade in a couple of weeks. That means I'm going to have to do a 'Best of the Decade' list, too. And that one is going to be much harder.

This didn't hit me until the new issue of Rolling Stone showed up at my house. It's the best of the 2000's issue and I haven't opened it yet. I can almost guarantee that I will not agree with 75% of what's in there. I can see Arcade Fire or TV on the Radio somewhere close to the top and the Jonas Brothers on the list because they have to be. They'll probably praise one or two shitty Britney Spears songs because she made a "comeback" too.  I'm already disappointed with their poor selections and I haven't even read the issue yet.

But at least they did it.

I don't even know if I'll be able to. I'll most likely spend way too much time thinking about all the different categories and aspects of such a task and not be able to come up with anything. And somewhere around the end of March I'll have a definitive list that I'm ready to post, only to realize that I'm almost four months late on it and just give up.

That's the most likely scenario.
How do you even choose the best of the decade? That's probably how I'll spend winter break. Staring at my computer screen, silently debating the merits of whether the three (sometimes four) insanely brilliant Muse songs make up for the other seven forgettable tracks that everyone will skip over (as is the case on every album they put out) makes them a better band than, say, Crime In Stereo.

This is what I'm worried about this holiday season.

(edited to add: Flipped through the issue. Arcade Fire is no. 6, TV On The Radio is 48 in albums. Britney Spears - "Toxic" is no. 44 in songs. No Jonas Brothers on the list, thank Christ.)

No comments:

Post a Comment