Monday, November 29, 2010

127 HOURS

James Franco is a strange guy. Sometimes I'll see him act and it's downright bad (SPIDER-MAN, for example), but then along comes something like 127 HOURS and he's fantastic from start to finish.

He plays Aron Ralston, a hiker that gets his hand stuck between a rock and a wall and eventually has to cut his own arm off to escape. It's a great story and Franco does an amazing job of holding the audiences attention for the full hour and a half, mostly all by himself. The actual scene of him breaking and cutting his arm off was pretty intense, mainly thanks to the sound effects, and I had to cover my eyes like a child a few times but overall it was a good movie. I joked that it was the same movie as SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE in that in order to overcome a tricky situation the main character had to rely on things from his past for help. I was joking, but it's still kind of true.

I don't think Danny Boyle is the greatest filmmaker of all time like some people, but he does have a pretty amazing track record, and I'll always at least give him the benefit of the doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment